Monday, January 28, 2008

A previous post shared some novelty 78s that Red Ingle had recorded in the 1930's as vocalist with the Ted Weems Orchestra, prior to his stint from 1943 - 1946 with Spike Jones as one of his 'City Slickers'.

Featured in this post is one recorded almost immediately following his departure from the Spike Jones band, but just prior to the formation of his own group and the beginning of his stellar string of records made for the Capitol label from 1947 into the early fifties.

Recorded in Hollywood during this interim, his one session with
Dick Peterson and The Vocal Yokels yielded this Ingle original. ➤

See also: Red Ingle bio page at AllMusic (click to link)

Listen to:
Red Ingle, with Dick Peterson and The Vocal Yokels -
It Ain't Never Hurt Me None So Far

(Enterprise 78, circa 1946)

(click for audio)

- sigh - Funny little story about the B-side...

The demise of this particular disc is one that illustrates what I love and respect about old 78 rpm records, and likewise what I love about working with software like ProTools and SoundSoap.

Getting set to record the A-side, I heard a loud and persistent surface popping as I was setting levels.

'Rats, maybe it's got a little crack in it', I thought. 'Better take a look...'

↖ As I picked the disc up from the turntable, a big triangular chunk fell right out of it. Eeek!!

78s are a marvel, and (in my opinion) they retain more of the special magic and wonder of the *concepts* of sound recording than any medium that's followed.

Yes, they can be brittle as hell, and can carry lots of surface noise, but I'm continually amazed by the fact
(in my experience) that they so rarely skip.

- - And unlike most recording mediums, you can put them back together and they'll still play. Sometimes.

I was very pleased with the performance of the A-side of this old and broken record.

I had to put a small piece of tape on the B-side to hold the broken chunk in place, because otherwise centrifugal force was sending it careening off the turntable.

I placed the disc back on the platter, gave it a good wet clean with my old discwasher brush to sort of 'lube up' the grooves, started recording, set down the needle, and - - bless its fragile shellac heart - - the record played straight through, persistent pop and all.

A little ProTools TLC turned the most jagged ridges and chasms in the first half of the soundfile back into some shallower waves, a run through SoundSoap softened some of the surface noise without sterilizing it, and voilĂ  - -

- - for all practical purposes, the very last play this decidedly goofy old record will receive was the one that captured a reasonable facsimile of it for some folks to enjoy beyond its lifespan.
Mission accomplished.

It would have been nice if I'd been able to get the B-side ('I Tipped My Hat And Slowly Rode Away') to cooperate as well, but no such luck.
Oh well, I'm satisfied. I wound up with a tale to tell, and anyway, the A-side was better...

UPDATE, 4.13.09: Good news! One of twindowlicker's recent Choosday Choons posts features a MASSIVE trove of archived Red Ingle 78s, including the KIA flipside of this disc (via Pappy Stuckey's collection)! Hooray!

Click over to: Choosday Choons: The Capitol Cut-ups, part 4: Red Ingle!!
at Pet's playin' her old platters, come on in!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 

FREE HOT BODYPAINTING | HOT GIRL GALERRY