Friday, April 4, 2008

Let's see... 'Reasons to be cheerful'. Hmm. Cheerful. Uh...

What about - - no, no, that's not really very 'cheerful', is it... Umm, let's see now.

Well - - do these sort of things count - - ?

1. I got through April Fool's Day unscathed, thankfully. No pranks pulled on me, stick-in-the-mud that I am likely to be.

2. Springtime popping, bright blue skies, and getting close to shirt-sleeve weather.

3. Lively political diatribes from the cashier at the convenience store.
Perfectly entertaining, even if I exercise my choice not to engage - - long-standing member of the venerable 'Ostrich Party' that I continue to be.

4. Oh, okay, 'cheerful', that's right, I remember now.
- - Yes, and/or thankful; Love and support from family and friends.

5. Cheerful! Like the joy (and surprise!) of finding new unabashed record-collector-nerd friends to hunt with at this year's local Friends Of The Library fundraiser sale.

A good haul was had by all (even if there weren't as many LPs to paw through as at last year's sale), and we all left with the grimy fingers to prove it!

Elsewhere on the radar this week:

6. A few impending DVD releases that have caught my attention...

- Criterion is releasing 1961's stylish noir 'Blast of Silence' later this month.
The bit of it I caught years ago has stuck with me. A sure thing for the queue.

- Nice to see continuation for conscientious and chronological fun:
'Popeye the Sailor: 1938-1940, Vol. 2' and ''The Three Stooges Collection, Vol. 2: 1937-1939'

From video comfort food to television candy...

- 'Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job!', Season One, coming later this month.

Mesmerising, infectious, and it's especially impossible not to love John C. Reilly as
Dr. Steve Brule
.

- I remain cautiously curious about Shout! Factory's 'Hiya Kids! A 50's Saturday Morning' box set. Could be fascinating, if they don't muck it up...
...And what the heck is up with this 3-disc set from a 1966 TV show I sure don't recall: 'Europe's Big Top Circus Stars Live from the Hippodrome'? "... featuring 'guest ringmasters' Jack Carter, Merv Griffin, Trini Lopez, Tony Randall, Woody Allen, Allan Sherman, and Jimmy Dean"?? Say what? Could that be right?!?

7. Oh! Okay, 'cheerful'! Well, sure - - I get it now - -
This *just* in: This morning I've been given the Excellent Blog Award!

My humble and sincere thanks to Look At This... for this prestigious honor!

Doing a bit of research, it appears that the Excellent Blog Award was created this past January by ProjectMommy as a way to give something back to the blogging community she enjoys.

It's a nice idea, sort of a 'chain' award. The rule is that by accepting the award, you must in turn bestow it upon at least 10 more blogs you deem Excellent Award worthy. With honor comes responsibility, I suppose...

Well, in truth I would put the aforementioned Look At This... on the list. I've enjoyed many visits there, and enjoyed the breadth of links they post, even the ones that go beyond the stated 'Newcastle' theme.

I also agree with their intent to pass the award along to blogs other than the big and justifiably popular 'majors'.
Here goes, my own nominations for the Excellent Blog Award, in no particular order, and likely with some glaring omissions...

bowling trophy

if charlie parker was a gunslinger,
there'd be a whole lot of dead copycats


The Record Robot

dustysevens

Fabulon

Sequoia Sempervirens.

Like...Dreamsville

Schadenfreudian Therapy

Made in England by Gentlemen

JB's Warehouse and Curio Emporium


8. Lastly today, there's the video clip of the 'Extreme Beer Pong' guy.



Best of all, I can let go of that vague question that's been lurking quietly in the back of my mind for months - - "What the hell is 'beer pong', anyway?" (Thanks to MC 8th-Grader)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 

FREE HOT BODYPAINTING | HOT GIRL GALERRY