Wednesday, December 12, 2007

This was a little Xmas novelty tune that was recorded in San Francisco.

The 45 was produced and arranged by Rita Abrams, who'd had prior experience in the art of children's chorus wrangling. (Rita ➤)

She'd been an elementary school teacher before her plunge into the music industry.

Recording as Miss Abrams and the Strawberry Point 4th Grade Class, her song 'Mill Valley' had been a nationally-charting hit single in 1970.

- Follow this link to the 'Mill Valley' promotional music video posted at YouTube.

The video was shot in conjunction with Mill Valley's 4th of July celebration, and was directed by Francis Ford Coppola (two years after he directed 'Finian's Rainbow', and two years prior to 'The Godfather').


As a kid growing up in Mill Valley at that time, it was hard not to be familiar with Rita.
My memories are of her making the rounds at local schools and leading various singing activities with the kids.

She also recruited local kids to work on various projects she had following the success of the hit single.

I wasn't a student at Strawberry Point, but I was 'drafted' along with some fellow Old Mill School students to add some post-production back-up vocals to a 1975 single recorded for the upcoming Bicentennial, 'America, Let's Get Started Again' (now included as a 'bonus track' on the 'Miss Abrams' CD reissue).

That first 'professional' gig of mine led to this next one; as a member of The Pee Wee Children's Chorus.

Even at the time I recall thinking that
'Pee Wee The Pink Pine Tree' was a bit of a - - shall we say 'overt homage'? - - of 'Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer', but I don't know if the success of an Xmas novelty 45 has ever been hindered by being too formulaic.
I can't say for sure if that contributed to the lack of success for this one...

Listen to: The Pee Wee Childrens Chorus -
Pee Wee The Pink Pine Tree

CCP 45, prod. & arr. by Rita Abrams, 1976

(click for audio)

I can still sort of hear my pre-pubescent voice in the mix.

I was involved with one or two other projects of Rita's after that, but that was it.
I suppose perhaps that not unlike the 'Menudo' system, I was cycled out as I got older and my voice changed.

Last year I reconnected with another former member of the PWCC.
We were considering a new reunion tour for the song, maybe take it to Scandinavia, maybe Japan...

...but then it turns out there was a glitzy NEW version of the song recorded in 2005. Go figure!

Rita Abrams is still on the go around Mill Valley, and still very busy from the looks of things...
Click here to link to Rita Abrams' website.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 

FREE HOT BODYPAINTING | HOT GIRL GALERRY