Tuesday, June 3, 2008

UPDATE: Mp3 files removed by request. Thank you.

Ordinarily on ILTS I don't post music that's in print or readily available, so in honor of
Bo Diddley's passing, I'm attempting to present his original 1955 hits in something approximating the original '55 sound.

You've heard these tracks before, but how recently have you heard them with all the magic of
78 RPM surface noise still intact?





Bo Diddley's music has a singular tang and tenacity, but I think it's important to remember the context of when it first appeared, to try and recall what it was like to drop the needle on a hunk of rhythm & blues rock & roll shellac when it was new and revolutionary and dangerous...





Listen to:
Bo Diddley - Bo Diddley
(Checker Records 78, 1955)





For these original 78 tracks, I've done even less than my usual light touch in cleaning up the sound.
Clicks, pops, skips, warps, warts and all, the grooves still perform!








Listen to:
Bo Diddley - I'm A Man
(Checker Records 78, 1955)



(BIG M.A.N.-sized thanks to Ripspix for entrusting to me his amazing early rock & roll platters;
I promise to give them a good home!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 

FREE HOT BODYPAINTING | HOT GIRL GALERRY