Monday, September 15, 2008

In lending me yet another 45 from his collection, my friend Joe Sixpack put forth his opinion that
Bill Dorsey's 'Suck A Sour Lemon' is a top contender for The Worst Song Ever. (Thanks Joe!)

Certainly I see his point, but my feeling is that surely whatever record does contain the worst song ever, it will exhibit considerably more ineptitude in its production and execution.

My sense is that for the most part those people responsible for this single knew what they were doing, but made unfortunate choices.

- - Or were they in fact brilliant choices? It can be such a fine line...

Listen to:
Bill Dorsey - Suck A Sour Lemon
(Sure-Shot Records 45, 1966)
(click for audio)

In my opinion, it's the B-side that clinches this old single's status as a true gem.

'But Not Today' is only slightly more conventional than the
A-side, but its mixture of sunshine pop sound and lackadaisical lyrics are truly wonderful.

Listen to:
Bill Dorsey - But Not Today
(Sure-Shot Records 45, 1966)
(click for audio)

The vibes and electric guitar (and the Hollywood in '66 setting)
put me in mind of some of
Frank Zappa's pop mockery on the early Mothers Of Invention
records, though I doubt that there's any conscious connection.

At the moment I don't know a darned thing about Bill Dorsey or the L.A. Sure-Shot record label, but I'm all ears if you have any knowledge to share - - and would like to do my research for me.

Please leave a comment or send an e-mail (unless today is the day you're walking your turtle)!

(UPDATE: Hurray! See comments on this post for some great Hollywood Pop connection clues about the Sure-Shot label and Bill Dorsey - - including several recordings listed by ASCAP!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 

FREE HOT BODYPAINTING | HOT GIRL GALERRY