Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Four Gay Kitchens (1956)

This one-page photo-article appeared originally in the March, 1956 issue of Family Circle magazine.

(Click on image to ENLARGE in a new window)

The kitchens shown remind me of my mother.

Not just because I think she probably would have found them a bit ghastly, but because she loved the word 'gay'.

My mom was born in 1925 in San Francisco, and lived in the bay area all of her life.

I never knew her to be homophobic, but I do recall how she would occasionally voice her slight resentment at how popular usage changed the the common meaning of 'gay'.

So she continued to use it, convention be damned!

She enjoyed many things that were brightly colored, showy, festive, cheerful in nature, or pleasant in disposition (though again, she may have felt differently about these kitchens), so I can see where she'd have missed losing such a perfectly succint word.

I guess she felt it still had good mileage left on it...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 

FREE HOT BODYPAINTING | HOT GIRL GALERRY